More than 49,000 enterprise architects are employed throughout the United States, and they earn an average salary of $120,388 per year.
Does that salary sound intriguing? Do you want to know more about what it takes to work in this field?
Read on to learn everything you need to know about how to be an enterprise architect.
What Is an Enterprise Architect?
Enterprise architects are tech professionals.
They are responsible for maintaining an organization’s IT services and networks. This includes overseeing, upgrading, and improving enterprise services, as well as a company’s software and hardware.
Enterprise architects also must keep up with the latest trends and tools. This helps them find products that might improve their employer’s business.
Why Pursue a Career as an Enterprise Architect?
Do you want to work in the tech world? Do you want to do more than write code or answer tech questions for other employees at a company?
Enterprise architects often work closely with a company’s chief information officers (or CIOs) and gain a deeper understanding of the overall business strategy. Their opinions are well-respected, and they get to enjoy a lot of job satisfaction knowing they’re helping their employer to run their company as efficiently as possible.
The average salary for an enterprise architect isn’t too shabby, either.
If the idea of a six-figure salary is appealing to you, and you don’t mind taking the time to gain the skills needed to qualify for this job (more on that in the next section), why not go for it?
Process of Becoming an Enterprise Architect
Enterprise architects have a lot of responsibilities and must carry out many important tasks for their employers. Because of this, they must obtain a certain level of education first.
Here are some steps you’ll need to take if you want to become an enterprise architect one day:
- Earn a degree: A bachelor’s degree or above in computer science, information technology, or a related field
- Get certified: Advanced certifications like The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF) or security-specific certifications like Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Learn other areas of the business: The more you know about different roles and departments in a tech company, the easier it will be to qualify for jobs
- Research trends: Read articles or subscribe to journals to learn about the latest tech trends
- Network: Network online via LinkedIn or attend in-person events to learn about job openings and make connections with others in your field
When you’ve done all these things, you’ll likely find that it’s easy to become aware of enterprise architecture job openings. Then, you can start preparing your resume and applying for them.
Start Searching for Enterprise Architect Jobs Today
Do you want to work as an enterprise architect? If you love the tech world but want to have a big-picture, leadership role, a job as an enterprise architect is an excellent choice.
Want to learn more about different tech careers? Head to the Business and Industry sections of our site today for more insight.